Here is a list of some of my work
In Progress (have thoughts? contact me!):
- A history book of polyamorous people throughout history with some fellow academics. Follow along here.
- A research paper on the (re)classification of asexuality in the Library of Congress.
- A Study of Hierarchical Pornographic Classification vs. Individualized Pornographic Classification on Reddit’s /r/NSFW411: a research paper on the development of sexual hierarchal and classification systems on Reddit and elsewhere.
- Pre-Obscenities & Real Obscenities: The Creation of Male Pornographic Space: research paper being prepared for publication on the creation of a specifically male-gendered space in obscenity.
- (In Progress) Grasping Towards Pornotopia (working title): an examination of the creation of popular understandings of sex and sexuality in the West between WWII and the beginning of the Reagan Era. Using archival evidence, publisher correspondence, and newspapers accounts, I examine the bestsellers that first brought Victorian erotica and pornography into the public and created modern understandings of sexuality.
- Annals of Pornographie: How Porn became ‘Bad.’ Popular history book for a mass audience, made consistent and remarkable sales and won awards for making history accessible to the public. Resulted in authorial appearance on Conan O’Brien and a number of interviews. Extensive re-write underway for academic publication.
- ‘Hellfire and Cannibals: 18th and 19th Century Erotic Reading Groups and Their Manuscripts’ forthcoming chapter in the Edinburgh History of Reading (2019) that assesses erotic book clubs and their material.
- (with Bobby Derie) ‘Queer Beginnings: From Fanzines to Rule 34’ forthcoming chapter in Literature’s Kinkiest Corners (Routledge, 2019) discussing the history and creation of fan fiction and queer culture.
- “The Victorian with a Secret” and “‘A Poison More Deadly’: Defining Obscenity in the West” for NOTCHES Blog: (Re)Marks on the History of Sexuality—a peer-reviewed, collaborative and international history of sexuality blog.
- Sex-Ed articles for Pornhub.com’s Sexual Wellness Center:
- Society, Vice, and Suppression: The Historical Creation of ‘Pornography in England, 1750-1850. Submitted and accepted for Drew University’s Masters of Arts in History and Culture.
- Crossdressing Crossculture: Shakespeare, Calderon de la Barca, Catalina Erauso, Mary Frith and the Theaters of Golden Age Madrid and Tudor-Stuart London. Published in Metamorphosis
Professional Blogging and Interviews:
- Articles for the ALA’s Office of Intellectual Freedom:
- Articles for Indiana University’s Scholarly Communications:
- Articles for the Hack Library School
- “The Raunchy World of Edmund Curll.” A Covent Garden Gilflurt’s Guide to Life Edited by Catherine Curzon.
- HistoryGal Interview with Brian M. Watson. Interview by Nicola Lambert.
- Clutterbuck-Cook, Anna. “Book Review: Annals of Pornographie.”
- Reddit Moderator Has MA in History of Porn
- Porn Historian Brian Watson Explains Balloon Porn, 17th-Century Dildos in Reddit AMA.